Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Potty Talk
Warning!! This post has explicit potty talk--if it at all makes you uncomfortable to talk potty talk...do not continue :) . These thoughts come from a four hour poo poo in the potty struggle this morning...4 hours you ask? yeah--that's what I said. To start off, I don't think I'm being too pushy about the potty training thing (although you still might say 4 hours?) but let me explain. Over the weekend, I decided to do a little test and left Elina bottomless for the morning. I let her watch her little Elmo show and sit on the little potty at the same time. Within about 10 min--vuala--pee pee in the potty. She didn't really demonstrate a surprised attitude that it happened but just calmly stood up and said "I'n done" This made me think that she might actually understand what she was so doing. So I showered her with praises--and then thinking in the back of my mind that I didn't want to confuse by automatically putting on the diaper I rewarded her with her new princess panties. So she wore those successfully for a while--and then she decided it was time to go to the park. So we tried and tried to make pee pees one more time before heading out to the park, but to no avail. So I crossed my fingers (although I somehow knew it wouldn't last) and within 5 or so min of being at the park--she was all wet. So from then on diapers and I figuered I'd back off and let her move at her own pace for a while....fast forward to today. This morning she looks at me and says "uh-oh uh-oh poopies coming" and when asked if she wants to go to the potty she says yes and takes off her own diaper. So we sit on the potty, and sit on the potty, and sit on the potty. Of course she gets bored with the whole thing and decides she's done and ready to run around. Well I kept her bottomless because I figured she can't hold it in forever (although the 4 hours might prove me wrong) and dragged the potty around so that it is within view whenever she gets the urge. Whenever that urge would come--I'd hear "uh-oh, uh-oh" and she'd run to the potty--again making me that she knows what she's supposed to do. So she'd sit for a little bit and then run around. So after a couple hours of letting her move at her own pace I decide to take a little action. I tried everything from singing songs while on the potty, to counting, to counting and then push, to potty stickers, to pushing for a potty sticker, to counting a push for potty sticker, to two different Elmo shows while on the potty, to holding her on the big potty, all the while praising her for what she is doing, to I can't remember what else. I caught her squatting bare bummed on the floor two different times and hurried her to the potty only to have her get poo poo fright I guess. So after 4 hours and her finally crying because her tummy and bum bum hurt but not listening to me as I explain that it will feel better when it comes out, I give up and stick the blasted diaper on her. Therefore, within minutes we had a nice explosion in the diaper. So.....moral of the story----don't know, help me think of one. I know she is only newly two years old so I'm trying not to get too impatient, but I keep getting mixed signals from her. So back to the drawing board I guess. I know I previously asked for potty advice and I did get some comments, thank you very much, but any new insight would be greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









6 comments:
So Funny Nina, I was going through the same thing this past weekend. Sadie is 2 and a half and She does well when she is bottomless. I have decided it is phase 1 of potty training and we will move on to phase 2 when she decides she is ready with a little encouragement. Good Luck!
I have no advice. But I appreciate the laugh! Too bad they didn't teach you this in grad school, eh?
Nina, I feel your pain. I am going through the exact same pain with Brandon who is ALMOST 3. I know, I know that everyone says boys take longer but we are very ready for him to do it. And he is making great progress with peeing but will not poo at all. As soon as he goes, he runs up and tells us he had an "accident," followed immediately by "I'm sorry" - and we repeat that pattern every day. It's very frustrating, but at least Elina is just barely 2 - I am impressed with all the progress she has made thus far!
Don't stress too much -- my son didn't train until after 3.5 yrs --
we tried incentives like stickers, matchbox cars, a plastic golf club set, candies, dunk the cheerios...Ultimately HE had to decide to train -- he didn't want to miss out on preschool. My daughter took less than 1 week -- we waited with her until she started "hiding" to fill her diaper. Then we knew she understood. Each child is different. You are doing great!
Just keep encouraging it...start with just the pee pee in the potty and advance to the pooping. Baylee got really constipated too because she never wanted to go poop. The phase will pass the more comfortable she becomes.
Ultimately, each child will decide when he or she is ready to use the potty. My oldest (4 1/2) still isn't fully potty trained (although she is getting there), so don't lose hope.
Post a Comment